What to check on a Final Walk Through for the Home Buyer
What is a final walk through?
The Final Walk Through is the last "walk through" of the home you are purchasing. This is done a couple days before closing to just before closing.
The purpose of the final walk through on your new home is to:
- Make sure the home is in the same condition as when you first saw the home.
- Confirm the home is broom clean.
- Make sure the movers didn't do any damage moving the seller's property out.
- Confirm the personal property that is suppose to stay with the home is still there.
The final walk through is not the to be making "new" repair request. It also isn't the time for confirming the repairs were done. (You should of done your repairs re-inspect as soon as you were notified that the repairs were done. This is per the NEFAR contract).
That being said you should speak up as the Home Buyer:
- If something was covered up that you only now see after the property is empty.
- If you discover a change in the state of the home since you put it under contract.
We know your anxious to get into your new home. And for that reason you may speed through the final walk through. But don't. Take your time and examine some of the key systems of the property.
Interior Inspection of the Home
- Look at the walls now that pictures and art are removed.
- Look at the floors now that furniture and rugs are gone.
- Test all the lights to make sure they still work.
- Turn up and down the thermostat to make sure the air conditioning functions.
- In the Kitchen run the disposal, exhaust fan, oven, range and microwave. We want to confirm they still work. Also, if there is a refrigerator peek your head in and make sure it is clean.
- Flush all toilets. You don't want to have to fix a running toliet as soon as you move in!
- Look at the Garage. This is the most likely place where trash is left. It is also where the homeowner might of left you extra flooring and paint for any future repairs you may want to make.
Bonus: At closing don't forget to ask the Home Seller for the following:
- Garage code
- Alarm Code
- Gate Code
- Garbage days
- Mailbox keys
- Contact info for lawn, pool, pest and other service personnel.
Ready to look at homes? Need to sell your home? Let us know how to we can help: